I'd like to see Masthay get the Green Bay job.
Last year, Masthay spent most of the off-season with the Indianapolis Colts but was released before the first preseason game when seventh-round draft pick Pat McAfee performed well. Masthay said he then worked out for Green Bay in August, as well as Tampa Bay, New England and New York.
Nothing panned out, but Masthay kept working out.
"I was back living in Lexington, tutoring student-athletes at the university," said Masthay, 23. "It was nice to be there because I had access to the facilities to work out. I was doing that and hoping I would get back to a place like Green Bay."
Masthay and Bryan have been in Green Bay since March for off-season workouts.
At the last minicamp, Masthay hit the roof of the Don Hutson Center several times while punting side-by-side with Bryan during a drill.
"I was hitting the ball really well," said Masthay.
Masthay has been punting two or three times a week in the last three weeks to gear up for the Packers' organized team activities, which began Monday. The OTAs will provide another opportunity for side-by-side competition between Masthay and Bryan.
"This is one of the more open competitions in the league right now I would think. There's no incumbent; there's no draft choice," said Masthay. "So, yeah, I am really pleased to be here. Chris is a good punter. We've just sort of been competing with each other on our own.
"I am actually more confident right now because of the past two months, I have been working out and hitting the ball well and my fundamentals have gotten better. So, yeah, I do feel confident that I can play in this league."
Both punters competing had solid workouts on Wednesday.

No comments:
Post a Comment